BusyBee Au Pairs

 Application information on Au Pair / Gap Year in America

BusyBee Au Pairs are pleased to be partners and the UK appointed International Representatives with GO Au Pair. Go Au Pair have been placing Au Pairs with American host families since 1989 and are one of the original Au Pair Program sponsors designated by the department of state. We are responsible for the marketing and recruitment of new Au Pair candidates. If you are interested in becoming an Au Pair in America, we will help you through the extensive screening process, share with you an Au Pair training program to help you improve your knowledge and experience of Au Pair childcare in the United States. In addition, we will prepare you for Host Family interviews and assist you in the preparation of embassy interviews for your J1 visa.

Available Programs and Benefits

With our partner; Go Au Pair, we offer a caring and personal service. In the UK you will have our assistance through every step of the application process and assist with the visa arrangements. In the U.S you will have your own local area representative who will meet with you on a regular basis and will be on hand to help you at any point during your stay. For all our programs, your return flight from the UK to the U.S and study allowance are taken care of by your new host family. At the end of your stay, you will have a 30 day grace period in the U.S to travel around the country. There is also an optional 3 day workshop orientation  program in New York  that you can attend prior to joining your host family. You will also receive a basic travellers health insurance. This is not a comprehensive cover and is only to cover emergencies however you can upgrade the policy to have a full in depth health insurance cover and can provide to you further details upon request. Standard Au Pair As a standard Au Pair, you will work up to 45 hours per week and receive a weekly pocket money allowance of $195.75 – that’s $10179 in a year. the minimum age of children to be cared for can be as young as three months however you will need to provide documentation to prove your experience with this age group. Your role as a standard Au Pair will be mainly childcare and light housework duties surrounding the children. You will also be required to complete six credit hours of education in an American college. Host Families contribute a maximum of $500 towards this requirement. Au Pair Plus To be an Au Pair Plus, you will need to have had previous experience as an Au Pair as an Au Pair in another country in addition to the basic requirements for the Standard Au Pair program. You will work up to 45 hours per week and receive a weekly pocket money allowance of $215 – that’s $11180 a year. Again, the six credit hours of education will need to be completed and the contribution of up to $500 is still provided by the American Host Family. Premiere Au Pair Au Pairs in the Premiere Au Pair program will be required to have more experience than those Au Pairs for the Standard or Au Pair Plus programs. You must have the following :

  • Have at least 2 years of full time child care experience or a degree in a child care related field
  • Be at least 20 years of age
  • Have at least 6 months of driving experience
  • Be fluent in English

Premiere Au Pairs will also work up to 45 hours per week and will receive a weekly pocket money allowance of $255 – that’s $13260 a year. The requirements for six credit hours of education and contribution from Host Families still apply. Educare Au Pair Educare Au Pairs only care for school-aged children. You will work less hours than the other programs with your weekly working hours being no more than 30. You will receive a weekly pocket money allowance of $146.81 – that’s $7634.12 a year. Educare Au Pairs must complete more education than Au Pairs on the other programs. You are required to complete twelve credit hours of education and the Host Families will contribute a maximum of $1000 towards this requirement.

Au Pair Qualifications and Documents required to apply

To qualify as an Au Pair applicant, you must meet the following qualifications prior to any arrival in order to apply: Qualifications

  • 18-26 years of age – applicants must be between the ages of  18-26 years old. An Au Pair may turn 27 years of age whilst in the U.S and can extend their stay however travel to the U.S must be when you are 26 years old.
  • Speak good English – English is verified by interview with us as your International Representative and conducted entirely in English
  • Are a secondary school graduate or equivalent – A copy of certificates or diplomas are required as part of the application process.
  • Have previous childcare experience of 200 hours – All Au Pairs are required to provide two written childcare references and one character reference. References  are not allowed to be from family members.
  • Have no criminal record – a DBS check certificate is required to prove that you have no criminal record. We can assist you in applying for the DBS check.
  • Can commit to a 12 month placement – the minimum requirement for Au Pair in America is a 12 month commitment.


  • Standard application form
  • Medical certificate
  • Letter to potential host families
  • Copy of DBS certificate
  • Two childcare references and one character reference
  • Pictures of yourself
  • Psychometric test
  • Personality test
  • Copies of supporting documents

So, are you interested and looking for excitement abroad for a year and ready to travel? If yes, please do complete our registration form and we will contact you to arrange the 1st step of interview. If you have any questions and would like to discuss these first then please do give us a call on: 01245 608313 / 608317